Posts for tag: Tooth Pain
Do you know why your tooth hurts? Your Olathe, KS, family dentists, Drs. Anthony Marengo and Jacob Sylvester, can determine the cause of your toothache and offer treatments to end your pain.
Common tooth pain causes
That ache in your tooth may be caused by:
- Tooth Decay: Although small cavities are usually painless, you may begin to notice twinges of pain as the decay spreads. Pain may worsen when you bite down on the tooth, and you may notice a dark spot or hole on the surface of your tooth.
- A Crack: Even a tiny crack in a tooth can cause pain. If you have a crack, you may experience pain when you chew or eat or drink hot or cold foods and beverages. It's important to treat cracks promptly, as they weaken your teeth and also make it easier for bacteria to enter.
- Wisdom Teeth: Pain is a common symptom if your wisdom teeth are impacted, a condition that occurs when teeth can't erupt because they're blocked by gum tissue and bone. Fully erupted wisdom teeth may be weaker than other teeth and more likely to develop painful cavities.
- Grinding: Do your teeth or jaw hurt when you first wake up? The pain may occur if you grind or clench your jaw when you sleep. The habit can damage teeth and increase your risk of developing temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ).
- A Dental Abscess: A bacterial infection in your tooth pulp may be to blame for your pain. Other abscess signs may include fever, facial swelling, pus around your tooth and swollen lymph nodes.
Your family dentist offers a variety of treatments for tooth pain, including fillings, wisdom tooth extraction, nightguards to stop grinding, crowns to restore cracked teeth, and antibiotics and root canal therapy to protect infected teeth.
Relieve your tooth pain with a visit to family dentists Drs. Anthony Marengo and Jacob Sylvester. Schedule an appointment by calling their Olathe, KS, office at (913) 829-9222 to schedule an appointment.